Connecttv is a new enterprise supported by the Multichoice Enterprise Development Trust, commissioned to produce bulk entertaining programming for M-Net.
- 6 hours/week x 52 weeks/year
- The shows are simulcast on Mzansi Magic & Mzansi Wethu
- The programming is for family viewing with a skew toward youthful audiences
- The first series were broadcast from May 2013
- The second series of shows have been on air since May 2014
Connecttv has created 50 new jobs, invested significantly in employing young, unskilled talent. Furthermore, connecttv has initiated its own enterprise development programs, which include but are not limited to transport, audience recruitment and catering. Connecttv and Red Pepper have also invested in a state of the art virtual studio and new multi-purpose venue, both of which are located in Linden and available to third party productions.
Television production expertise : 25%
|Basetsana Kumalo||Tswelopele Productions|
|Cecil Barry||Red Pepper Pictures|
Enterprise management expertise: 20%
|Clifford Elk||enterprise development & management|
|Andisa Ramavhunga||management consulting|
Broad-based and social interest groups: 50%
MKHonto We Sizwe Military Veterans Association
|Medi Mokuena||Malibongwe Trust
(trust dedicated to the upliftment of women)
National African Chamber of Commerce & Industry
52 Creative staff
24 Technical staff
Bounce is a South Africa’s reality dance show where six contestants battle it out to compete for a cash prize money of R5000.
The Host | Sthembiso “SK” Khoza
Bounce is a street battle style dance show with 6 Contestants and 1 Winner. The audience will do the judging and decide who must “Bounce”.
- I AM – Each contestant has to perform a 30 sec introductory piece, this is their own style of dance.
- ON THE SPOT – The contestants will be grouped into three pairs where each pair will need to compete with two other pair of contestants, They are then given a song to dance to as a unit on the spot. The audience’s least favorite pair is voted out.
- YENZA SO – The dance crew goes on stage to perform a 30sec dance piece for the 2 pairs left to imitate and also give their own interpretation of the dance. The audience’s least favourite pair is voted out
- BOUNCE OFF – With 2 contestants left, the last two dancers have to battle in a face off, for the ultimate prize. The audience’s least favorite individual is “Bounced off”.
Like its namesake, this is a show that dares you to show South Africa what you’ve got in the music department. Presented by the effervescent Bujy Bikwa.
The Host | Bujy Bikwa
When asked who inspires him, Sthembinkosi Bujy Bikwa answers; “God is my inspiration, as well as young people who are making it no matter what”. Radio production opened doors for Bujy, who, through hard work and self-confidence, made it very far. Bujy plans to take the entertainment industry to a new level. There is no definition for such raw talent and inspiration, combined with hard work, but Sthembinkosi Bujy Bikwa has one that aptly sums him up: “I am a young achiever, gay, extremely talented and an entrepreneur, in a nut shell I am showbiz!”
Our 3 Contestants compete in 3 games to get as much points as possible, for a chance to face the music in our Cula Sibone Karaoke Showdown, where only one contestant will walk away with our R5000.00 cash prize.
The games played
- Turn It Up – Tests contestant’s knowledge of music videos.
- Dlala Nomculo – Tests contestant’s knowledge of lyrics.
- Spin The Guitar – Tests our contestant’s musical general knowledge.
- Cula Sibone Karaoke Showdown – Where our 2 finalists face off against each other, karaoke style and our computer will judge who sang it best.
- Artist Spotlight – The final game, tests contestants knowledge of a well known local musician, and features a hot performance by that musician live on the Cula Sibone stage.
The concept began as a need for a grand money give-way game show with fun games. The desire is to evoke the viewing experience of classic shows from the past in this genre. Two critical ingredients are required: having big cheering audiences and contestants winning lots of money. The initial vision of this show is to have a contestant given a large monetary value (This is when the Ka Ching Buc was born) and all they have to do is hold on to it.
Fun, physical games are the mechanisms driving the show. The show developed further mechanisms, which added excellent game show ingredients. The stakes are upped by allowing only one team to win money while the other team goes home with nothing. Playing games against the clock brings in the anxiety and the fact that only one team would win anything brought in the agony versus ecstasy factor.
The Host | Thabiso Mokhethi
He was also a presenter of the religious magazine shows Agape (SABC1, from 2008-2010) and Re:fresh on DStv’s ONE Gospel, in 2012. In 2010 he founded the events and artist management company Living Righteousness Entertainment, which is aimed at mentoring aspiring entertainers using the experience he earned while working as a brand ambassador, presenter and actor.
In 2013 he hosted the Mzansi Magic/Mzansi Wethu game show Ka Ching.
The first three games are each 50 seconds long. For every second that goes by, you lose 50 ka ching bucs. But for every point you score you win 250 ka ching bucs. As soon as you are able to score 10 points, we stop the clock, which means you stop losing money. You stand to win 2 500 ka ching bucs per game, but you also stand to lose 2 500 ka ching bucs per game.
The first three games are almost all one-player games. So teams must select who is going to play which game. Your first three games can be taken from any one of the eight games below.
Game 1 – 3 [Select 3]
- Kap Kap – Throw the 10 mini basketballs into any of the holes on the kap kap table.
- Chippa – Chip 10 golf balls into any one of the holes.
- Diketo – Using one hand only, try and slide 10 discs into the circle.
- Fingerboard – Sink 10 discs into the holes, using the shooting disc only.
- Madraseni – Using a remote control car, try and score as many goals as possible.
- Izihluthulelo – Try and unlock ten locks in 50 seconds, using 10 keys.
- Gone Fishing – Catch ten 250 ka ching buc notes.
- Ama Tina – Get 10 tins into a see-through box using their feet, not hands.
The fourth game is played by all 4 players and lasts for 50 seconds after which the teams swap. This is the final game to see who gets to spin the Ka Ching wheel.
The fourth game can be chosen from one of the two games below.
Game 4 [Select 1]
- Chicago – A team carries towers across no man’s land and re-builds the towers. For every tower built the team gets 250 ka ching bucs.
- uKleva neBari – Based on the traditional game called 4-square. It is an individual game of hand tennis, played with 4 players on 4 squares, where each player must defend his or her own square.
The final game is only played by the winning team and is called The Ka Ching Wheel.
- The Ka Ching Wheel – On the wheel there are additional Ka Ching Buc prizes, with a grand prize of 10 000 ka ching bucs! But be careful, there are also ‘lose halfs’ and a couple of minus 250 ka ching bucs. The first thing the winning team must do is choose if they want to spin or not. Spin or Vaya! If they chose to spin, they only get one chance.
13 Weeks, 10 Contestants, 1 ultimate transformation.
Over a period of 13 weeks 10 contestants go through the boot camp with not only the aim to lose weight but to transform their lives… for good. Every week from the 3rd week (episode 4) 1 contestant will be eliminated until there are only 2 left in the finale. The winner will be someone who has embraced all aspects of the transformation process and taken full advantage of the opportunities taken.
The Host | Kabelo Mabalane
Kabelo’s experience includes: Judge on SA’s Got Talent for a second season, voted 9th most influential TV media personality of 2012 by the Star Tonight, the first black man – worldwide – to be featured on the cover of Runners World. In 2005, Kabelo became the first South African celebrity to sign a three year endorsement deal with Reebok and is an ambassador for the KIA car dealership and Tiger of Sweden. Kabelo has recently started hosting his own radio show alongside Shout SA chairman, Gavin Koppel, and also has his own reality TV show called Boot Camp which is currently in its second season.
Kabelo’s Boot Camp Rules
- 5am wake up call for ALL contestants
- No Interaction with the outside world
- No Radio, TV, Newspaper and cellphones
- Only x3 random phone calls for the duration of the programme. Certain challenges will afford the contestants to make phone calls
- Only x1 day family visit (max. 2 hour visit)
- Minimum of 15mins per day of diary cams for each contestant
- ALL contestants weigh in every Sunday morning for evening elimination (results will be revealed before elimination)
- Contestants will be up for elimination according to weigh in results
- No drinking alcohol
- No smoking
- No sex
- The house must be kept clean at all times, chores must be split amongst contestants
- On Sunday ALL contestants (including the person selected by the contestants) will weigh in to see who has lost the least weight.
- The one who weighs the least weight will join the person eliminated by the contestants = bottom 2. Keeping in mind that the other candidate might be the one who has lost the least or most weight.
- Kabelo will make the final decision as to who leaves the house, based on attitude/dedication etc.
Nguwe Na is a modern day dating game show hosted by Thembi Seete. In the show an eligible bachelor/bachelorette would be given a choice of three candidates to interact with and hopefully find a suitable candidate to go on a date with. The interaction occurs with the bachelor/bachelorette blind folded and unable to see the candidates and having to rely solely on his/her sense to pick the ideal candidate to go on a romantic date with.
The Host | Thembi Seete
Since May 2006 she has been presenting the SABC1 music dance show Jika Majika. Thembi is currently launching her upmarket studio where all artists are welcomed and will soon be dropping her new album!
The format of the show consists of a young bachelor/bachelorette introduced to the viewer, followed by the presenter revealing the 3 potential candidates and sharing a bit of information about them with the viewer.
With the bachelor/bachelorette blind folded the 3 candidates have to try and impress by appealing to his/her senses. A set of challenges and activities are given that relate to the 5 senses, which the bachelor/bachelorette will use to assess compatibility and score the candidates.
Beginning with the 4 senses: Touch, Smell, Hearing and Taste bachelor/bachelorette will score the 3 candidates based on their performance in the given challenges. The goal is for the bachelor/bachelorette to assess compatibility and attraction without having yet seen the candidates. Once the four senses challenges have been completed the score is tallied. The three candidates will then be revealed to the bachelor/bachelorette and without knowing what the final score is, the bachelor/bachelorette will then be asked based on sight to score the candidates. After the bachelor/bachelorette has given their final score the presenter will reveal the final tallied up scores where we will see who the chosen candidate is based on the scoring from all the different senses.
Once the final winner out of the three candidates has been revealed the two lovebirds are given an opportunity to spend some quality time at a special venue where they can assess if they are compatible.
- Game 1 – The 3 candidates are given a number of snack items that are in a tapas fashion. The bachelor/bachelorette always has to be asked in advance whether they prefer sweet or savoury and the candidates would then select from the variety on offer. The other options would be creating a virgin cocktail where the candidates would be given the ingredients and would have to try and guess quantities and recreate the beverage.
- Game 2 – The candidates have to reveal their food fetish secret to the bachelor/bachelorette. It could be a weird fetish or something that they really enjoy. After the food fetish secret is revealed the bachelor/bachelorette has to taste the food. The twist is never knowing what might be written and with the wild card of it being something gross.
- Game 1 – A massage challenge where the candidates have to give the bachelor/bachelorette a sensual massage. It can be a shoulder, hand massage and solely based on their touch the bachelor has to score the candidate.
- Game 2 – A dance challenge
- Game 2 – A knot challenge where the bachelor/bachelorette is still blindfolded, and tied in a knot with the candidate. The candidate would then have to try and lead the bachelor/bachelorette out of this knot in 30 seconds.
- Game 1 – Candidates are given a number of oil scents with which they have to create a scent that will impress the bachelor/bachelorette.
- Game 1 – Candidates have to sing and try and impress the bachelor with their vocal skills.
- Game 2 – A voicemail where candidates are asked to leave a message relating to a certain scenario.
- Game 3 – the bachelor/bachelorette asks the 3 candidates quickfire questions that also say something about his/her personality. This challenge is timed and they need to get through as many questions as possible in the space of a minute.
- Game 1 – Without revealing who is currently leading the bachelor/bachelorette is introduced to the 3 candidates and asked based on what he/she sees to score the candidates. The bachelor is then asked to guess who they think has won. The final score is then released and the final winner revealed.
Our Perfect Wedding
Our Perfect Wedding is a reality show that follows the lives of various individuals as they unfold. Couples give the viewer a front row seat to what they deem as the “perfect” wedding, inviting us to join on the journey every step of the way. Viewers are kept in the loop with all the drama, trip ups and magic of the road to the big day, all whilst adding a cheeky nature to the show. The show is presented by the sexy and fabulous Phumeza Mdabe.
The Host | Phumzeza Mdabe
In April 2014 she will be hosting Season 3 of the reality show Our Perfect Wedding on Mzansi Magic.
- The couples featured on the show must be getting married in South Africa and they must speak at least 1 black South African language.
- They must be having both a “white” and a traditional wedding.
- If the couples are multiracial – one partner must be a black South African who speaks at least 1 black language.
- The couples and their families must be willing to show all their preparations like dress fittings, cake tasting, ring shopping, etc.
Sifun’ Ukwazi is a talk show, where we discuss different topics relating to the everyday lives of South Africans, this will include things such as fashion, music, health, love, art and sports. Sifun’Ukwazi means ‘we want to know’ in isiZulu. The show is hosted in the Nguni language by popular radio personality Linda Sibiya who is loved by many South Africans.
The Host | Linda Sibiya
He hosted the first season of the SABC 2 religious music programme Gospel Classics from 2011-2012. In 2013 he began hosting the Mzansi Magic and Mzansi Wethu talk show Sifun’ukwazi, in which he leads the debate on topical issues and local celebrities.
Wang Verstana is a studio based game show that features 3 couples competing against each other on how well they know their partner.
Hosted by Ndumiso Lindi (previously hosted by Kenneth Nkosi), the show playfully asks the question … Should you really be getting married? How well do you know the person you intend on spending the rest of your life with? How well do you know the person you just married a few months ago?
The games played test not only your knowledge and understanding of your better half but it also test your communication skills and your level of trust for each other.
The winning couple gets a special weekend getaway worth R5 000.
The Host | Ndumiso Lindi
Ndumiso’s material is an honest and hilarious observation of everyday life in South Africa, the diversity of South African cultures and how unique black people can be, especially the newer, younger generation. He paints the nation from a young black man’s point of view. His ability to adapt his unique style to diverse audiences is proof that this relatively young performer is blessed with talent and instinct, and his rapid rise is well deserved.
We have 3 couples playing against each other over 3 fun and exciting games. At the end of the 2nd round, one couple is eliminated.
The first game is called “VAN DIE 1” – this game tests how well the couples know each other’s favourite things.
VAN DIE 1 Game Rules
- There are 3 images of different items on the big screen.
- The aim of the game is to get the couple to guess their favorite to least favorite items.
The 2nd game is called “AND THEN?” – this game tests the couples’ communication skills. How well to they communicate.
AND THEN? Game Rules
- In the game And then?, one person will be describing and one will be guessing.
- The DESCRIBER must describe a given word to the GUESSER without saying the word nor say sounds like or rhymes with.
- The game is played for 60 seconds and the couple must try and get through as many words as a possible in 60 seconds.
The final game is called “TRUST ME”- this game tests the couple’s trust of each other.
TRUST ME Game Rules
- In this game Trust Me, the contestants are playing against the clock and the fastest time wins.
- The one partner is blindfolded and the other partner must verbally direct the blindfolded partner through an obstacles course.
- The FOLLOWER must walk through a maze and must collect 2 keys which are buried in a bowl of gross things.
- There will be three different bowls of gross things and the LEADER must decide which two of the three things they will let their loved one stick their hand into, to retrieve the key.
- Once through the obstacle LEADER can help the FOLLOWER onto the circle of trust and position them for a backwards fall.
- When ready, LEADER must shout, “Trust Me baby!” If the catch is successful we stop the clock. Fastest time gets 6 points, 2nd fastest 3 points and slowest time gets no points.
Would you like to be part of the connecttv studio audience or apply to become a contestant on one of our game shows? Please submit your details below and we will respond soon.
Become an audience member
Become a contestant
When dialing from outside South Africa, please add your own international
Tel +27 11 446 7004
Fax +27 11 782 1672
58 4th Avenue,